by Regina Ann
One of the first things I learned from my naturopathic practitioner in my journey to wellness was that there are two physical requirements for disease to survive and thrive. Disease MUST have a low oxygen, high acid environment to live. Oxygenate and Balance the Blood pH and disease responds much like a fire with nothing to burn and no oxygen to keep it going. In the archived articles you can find the article on Balancing the Breath. In that article you will find tips to increase the oxygen level of the blood and body system. This article will focus on creating Balanced pH levels.
The pH scale is 0 – 14 going Acid to Alkaline. Healthy pH is considered slightly above center, in the 7.35-7.45 range. Just as a highly acid blood pH can cause problems, so to can a highly alkaline blood pH. The key to health and wellness is balance. Alkaline pH is far less often the case due to contributing factors of the pH level.
Research I am familiar with indicates that the blood pH typically stays within close to balanced range by design. Meaning, our body finds ways to compensate for any imbalance in order to ensure survival. Therefore, whereas an alkaline diet may not directly affect your blood pH, it will affect the amount of energy your body is expending and the resources being robbed from your body to maintain a healthy blood pH. One of the places known to suffer in order to maintain blood pH is the bones. Research has indicated that the calcium in bones is often robbed by the body to maintain healthy blood pH levels.
Acidic pH levels can be the result of many factors, some of which include:
- An Acid Forming Diet. The typical diet, especially in the U.S., is comprised mainly of acid forming foods and drink. The use of Artificial Sweeteners in our diet also contributes to blood acidity.
- Stress. Stress not only increases blood acidity but decreases our blood oxygen as well.
- Toxic Overload. Whether environmental or emotional, toxins that are not released in healthy ways build up creating a toxic environment in the body. A toxic environment is an acidic environment.
- Exhalation. According to Dr. Weil, “the primary we get rid of excess acid is by breathing out carbon dioxide.” Therefore, breathing deeply and exhaling fully allows our body to rid itself of excess acidity.
Currently there are tests for blood pH, saliva pH, and urine pH. My experience has been that being aware of the pH of my saliva helps me make adjustments to reduce the stress of my body to maintain a healthy blood pH. This is the method that was recommended to me by my holistic health practitioners and it has served me well. Test strips for saliva pH are more common now and can easily be found in most health food stores and drug stores. You may follow the directions on the pH strips. My practitioner stipulated that I test my pH before rising in the morning using the inside of my cheek to test. The important part being that you not drink or partake of anything prior to testing as it will alter the results.
Modify according to your goals. If your goal is to restore health and wellness, your aim should be approximately 80% Alkaline to 20% Acid Forming contributors. If your goal is to maintain health and wellness, your aim should be approximately 60% to 40% Alkaline/Acid Forming contributors. Contributors include diet, drink, stress levels, environmental and emotional toxin levels, and fully exhaling.
Being well is achieved through balance. Here are some tips to help you achieve balance and therefore achieve health and wellness.
- Balance your contributing factors (i.e. diet, exercise, time commitments, etc.) Be certain that you are making time for healthy nutrition, exercise, relationships, and self-nurturing.
- Modify your diet. Balance your diet in a healthy manner for your body. Each body has unique dietary needs. Listen to your body, it will tell you what it needs.
- Incorporate healthy ways to release stress and toxic burdens. Some healthy methods include: Tai Chi, Qi Gong, Yoga, Dance, Meditation, Reiki, Massage, etc. Choose the methods that make you and your body happy.
- Make time to breathe deeply and exhale fully. Give yourself time each day to focus on your breathing to create a habit of breathing more fully.
Always remember that you did not arrive here in a day so give yourself time to create new habits. Rank the modifications you choose to incorporate by importance to you (highest to lowest) and get started. Take one or two things at a time according to your priority ranking. This method will ensure you the best possible chance for success. It takes some 28 consecutive days to create a habit so commit to your health and wellness.
BE Balanced ~ BE Well ♥
~*~ Regina Ann is the founder of Integrative Wholistic Solutions and a Holistic Health & Wellness Practitioner offering Complimentary and Integrative Medicines, resources and tools to assist you in achieving emotional, mental, physical, spiritual Well Being. Visit IntegrativeWholisticSolutions.com to learn more.
*All Rights Reserved