Fabulous Frankincense ~
Frankincense, Boswellia carteri, is considered the "holy anointing oil" in the Middle East and has been used in religious ceremonies for thousands of years. The Chinese have used frankincense as treatment for a wide range of ailments since ancient times. Frankincense is still being used worldwide both ceremonially and medicinally. Recently, there has been exciting research shared regarding frankincense and cancer.
Frankincense contains sesquiterpenes which stimulate the limbic system of the brain, the center of memory and emotions, as well as the hypothalamus, pineal, and pituitary glands. It may be used topically, as a dietary supplement or diffused. It is held in high regard by many who believe it can ease minor aches and pains, clear the lungs, soothe the skin, reduce wrinkles, and calm and soothe the body and mind. Many people worldwide use frankincense as part of their meditation practice believing that it better helps them be still and quiet to connect with their inner self.
Common applications and uses for frankincense include:
- Diffusing into the air to ease congestion and voice loss, and to relax and reduce stress
- Blending with pure oils such as coconut, olive, almond, or massage oils to reduce aches and pains
- Added to bath water to improve circulation
- Applied neat to wounds, sores, ulcers or as an astringent to the skin
- Incorporated into creams and lotions to improve the skin
- As a compress or wound wash to aid healing
~ Did You Know?
Frankincense trees grow without soil out of polished marble rocks.
~*~ Regina Ann
*All Rights Reserved
**information gleaned from resources offered by Young Living Oils